Sunday, June 26, 2011

Noah's Ark Picture Book

I've confessed before to being an accidental collector of Noah's Ark themed picture books. They say if you have three items you are a collector.  My Amazon Wish List has had this Noah's Ark version (by Heinz Janisch illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger) it for some time and when thrifting Friday I found a like new copy for less than three dollars.
It was better in person than I could have imagined.  This was a New York Times notable picture book and the reason is the illustrations.  Lisbeth Zwerger is an Austrian and she is revered for her quirky but quiet pen and ink and watercolor illustrations that gentle commentary to the text.

Her people are not dressed any way typical of what weary usually think of as "Biblical". They are almost contemporary but tall mens' hats and lots of long coats tweak the image and make me feel the people are from a timeless place.

I love how she plays with size and perspective.  This is the picture that illustrates the wickedness of the people.
Her finished Ark is a beauty.

I loved the small picture of  people trying to escape the flood (Yes I know it's sad).
This picture shows the rain coming and unicorns being left behind.  I don't think you can see in my scan but a satyr is also being left behind.  
I'm completely smitten by Ms. Zwerger.  She mostly illustrates fairy tales and classic stories.  I want many of her titles but the top of the list is her illustrated version of The Wizard of Oz.  I can't believe what I find at my local Savers!

2 comments:

  1. bee-u-tiful. It's not a wonder that you like this artist - such good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow. I love it, too! Congrats on the score at Savers! :)

    ReplyDelete