Friday, December 30, 2011

More Christmas ReHash

I did a little crafting/painting  for my own BestLovedKids.  Now that gifting is over I can show you two of my favorites.
Each little boy in the family got a velcro on tie made from Sarah Jane Studio's rocket fabric.  I was visiting a Primary in the south of Arkansas when I picked up a  discarded tie from some little boy.  I was amazed to
 see a velcro fastened neck gear that was washable and looked like it was soft and comfortable.  Yes, the tot got his tie back and I searched the web for directions.  I used THIS tutorial from Very Homemade.  Her directions are wonderful but I changed it a little.  Instead of leaving the sides open and seaming the seam that forms the join on the back side of the tie.  I seamed the rocket fabric and the lining faces together all around with an opening to turn it right side out.  I then folded each side to the back and hand stitched it together down the back.  I fell in love with this rocket fabric.  When Sarah Jane introduced her fabric line it was shown with little boys in similar ties and I was hooked.

This set went to a kiddlet in Arizona.  I've had this idea for a long time, and I had the teapot, tray and cups for 2 years.  Finally got an idea of how to paint it.  The tray is from Wal-Mart (they have them all the time for just a couple of bucks).  The teapot came from Pier 1.  They always have plain white dishware.  Lots of other sources carry white dishware by the piece.  The cups and saucers were from Savers.  That's why there are three of each.  They are espresso cups.  You could get similar cups  at Pier 1, also.   I painted the white ware with Pebo Vitrea paint I got from Michaels.  The paint is heat set after drying 24 hrs. and is supposed to be extremely durable.  Tutorial to follow.  Just saying, this paint is sticky.  It behaves different than my usual acrylics and I found designs based on dots or lines worked best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment