Thursday, August 2, 2012

Highlights of Yellowstone

We had a great time visiting Yellowstone with the family.  When I was in high school, my parents ranched about 80 miles north of the North Entrance to the park.  For us, visiting Yellowstone was a day trip taken in the spring or late fall when the work on the farm was light.  We spent my 16th birthday there.  Visiting in the off season was colder but the park was uncrowded and the animals down from the high country and easy to view.  It's been a few years since I last visited.  The BLBiggest Boy had just celebrated his first birthday.  Now we were here with his own boy.  So, what are the highlights I took pictures of?

The Grands, naturally.  Look how much fun they're having with their binoculars. Like true naturalists.
Those obligatory pictures in front of the signs.  Old Faithful is the signature sight in the Park.  It had changed a bunch from my last visit.  When I was there last there was the Old Faithful Inn, a General Store and a Gas Station.  I love, love Old Faithful Inn.  Did you know it's style is "National Park Rustic". Now there is a whole complex around the Best Loved Geyser. The newest building is the Old Faithful Visitors Center.  You can see the geyser erupt from the windows of the building and browse the museum and information while you wait.  But what did I think was the best part? 
The handcrafted tiles in the ladies room!  Yes, I took pictures of the tile in the bathroom.  Loved it! 
The glass tile was inset with metal tiles that had an inset outline of some of the animals common to the Park. 
Love the fish.  And the Wolf is the best.
Something for everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment